Before you begin: select a fabric that is absorbent (cotton is wonderful) and either resists stains or can be treated for them. Be aware of the size of you need, 20″ x 20″ is large and 15″ x 15″ is small for folding.
#1 THE FRINGED CUT NAPKINS.
The easiest way to create your own cloth napkins is to find fabric with a coarse weave that you fray the edges.
To do this,
1) Pull a thread to straighten the edge. You may also need to pull it on the bias to get it “square”.
2) Cut it in a square – the size you want.
3) Stitch 1/2″ from the raw edges with short straight stitches or narrow closely spaced zigzag stitch. This will create a barrier so that you cannot fray the fabric beyond the stitching.
4) Pull out threads up the stitching line to fray the edges.
#2 ZIGZAG OVERAGE.
This is another simple method to make your own cloth napkins.
1. First trim the loose threads from the napkin edges.
2. Satin-stitch over the raw edges. Use an over-edge foot to maintain zigzag width. This will seal the edges from fraying and it gives you an option to create a contrast of color with your thread or match the fabric color.
#3 SIMPLE NARROW HEM
1) Roll the edges over twice, double-fold 1/4″ hem. Work with opposite sides on all napkins.
2) Edge-stitch from one napkin to the next using continuous stitching.
3) Repeat for remaining sides.
#4 DECORATIVE STITCH
1) Press under 1/4″ and stitch.
2) From “right” side of the fabric, stitch with your favorite pattern stitch, using the straight stitch from the first step to act as your guideline.
#5 SATIN STITCH
1) Turn & press under 1/2″ on all sides.
2) Miter the corners.
3) Edge-stitch raw edges to use as a guide.
4) Set zigzag at widest buttonhole setting or closely spaced zigzag satin stitch.
5) Stitch on the “right” side of the fabric over the straight edge.
#6 MITERED CORNERS.
This is for narrow hems.
1) Press under double-fold 1/4″ hem.
2) Open cut at corners.
3) Trim corners diagonally.
4) Bring hemmed edges together to form miter.
5) Straight-stitch hem.
#7 DOUBLE-FOLD HEM
1) Turn under 1/4″ on all edges and press.
2) Turn under another 1/4″ and edge-stitch close to the folded edge.
3) Miter the corners.
Never be caught without the means to create beautiful napkin folds. The Fabulous Folds app is available for iOS and for Android.
GET THE APP TODAY & BEGIN FOLDING!
- Announcing a New Service – Shopping!
- A Place at the Table
- TGIF – Friday’s Fold
- How to build a 3D Paper House…Summer Crafts for Kids
- How-to carry 2 bottles of wine – hands free!
- July 4th table setting – time to party!
- Introducing OrganicHealthLifestyle.com
- Never too early to think about the Easter Bunny
- Top 3 Chemicals to avoid in cleaning products: ammonia, formaldehyde, sodium lauryl sulphate
- St. Patty’s Day is coming up!
- What inspires you? and what about that?
- Shibori: refresh your tired & stained cloth napkins.
- Something simple and fun
- Away! with stains
- Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!